On 6/5/2017 4:55 PM, Gregory Ewing wrote:

Mahmood Naderan wrote:
from a button on a web page, I chose "export as excel" to download the data.

Do you get an option to export in any other format?
CSV would be best, since you can trivially read that
with Python's csv module.

If Excel is the only format available, you should
complain to the website maintainers that their
export function is broken and is corrupting data.

I had the opposite problem of converting the timestamp from a scraped web page into a timezone-aware timestamp to save into a CSV file that was sortable in Excel. It took me a while to figure out that my source timestamp was set to US/Eastern even though I was viewing it as US/Pacific on the website. I wrote down my thought process in a blog post that may help this situation.

https://www.kickingthebitbucket.com/2017/04/04/the-python-time-zone-rabbit-hole/

Thank you,

Chris Reimer