On 09Aug2017 10:46, Jon Ribbens <jon+use...@unequivocal.eu> wrote:
On 2017-08-09, Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au> wrote:
On 08Aug2017 17:31, Jon Ribbens <jon+use...@unequivocal.eu> wrote:
... but bear in mind, there have been ways of doing denial-of-service
attacks with valid-but-nasty regexps in the past, and I wouldn't want
to rely on there not being any now.

The ones I've seen still require some input length (I'm thinking exponential
rematch backoff stuff here). I suspect that if your test query matches the RE
against a fixed empty string it is hard to be exploited. i.e. I think most of
this stuff isn't expensive in terms of compiling the regexp but in
executing it against text.

Well yes, but presumably if the OP is receiving regexps from users
they will be executed against text sooner or later.

True, but the OP (Larry) was after validation.

The risk then depends on the degree of trust in the user. If the user is a random person-from-the-internets, sure there's a risk there. However, if the regexp is part of some internal configuration being set up by trusted people (eg staff pursuing a goal) then validation will normally be enough.

Of course, that is a call for Larry to make, not us, but it need to be bourne in mind by him.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au> (formerly c...@zip.com.au)