On 09/19/2017 09:37 AM, justin walters wrote:
On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

On 2017-09-19, Jan Erik =?utf-8?q?Mostr=C3=B6m?= <li...@mostrom.pp.se>
wrote:

And I'm amazed how often I see people trying to calculate

      change = sum handed over - cost

and then trying to figure out what bills/coins should be returned
instead of doing the simple thing of just adding to the cost.

When I was a kid, making change like that was something we were all
taught in school.  I have a feeling that's been dropped from most
curricula.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! MMM-MM!!  So THIS
is

Not sure about the most recent decade, but back when I was in elementary
school(1995-2001-ish),
we definitely still learned math through how to make change.

Ah, but making change and counting change are not the same thing!

Making change: $3.61 from $10 . . . $6.39

Counting change: $3.61 from $10 --

 - (give four pennies back) $3.65
 - (give a dime back) $3.75
 - (give a quarter back) $4.00