Bill wrote:
validationma...@gmail.com wrote:
i have a code in python to search and replace what i need though is to replace the first say 10 instances of the number 1 with 2 and the second 10 instances with the number 3. anybody knows how to do that?
Do you mean the (integer) number 1 or the character '1'? For instance, if the first line of the file is:
"There were 100 cats in the yard."
Do you want to change this to
"There were 200 cats in the yard."?
Remember that string objects are "immutable" so your code probably wouldn't work exactly like that.

I now realize that my last line does not apply. I suggest you start by just thinking about changing the first ten ones to twos. Once you do that, you should have little trouble finishing the job. Being a Python newbie myself, your example helped motivate me to try my own example. I used "type" to learn the data type of line (in your example), about which I was curious. My first concern was that is might only be "interable" object, but I learned that more is true.

fin = open(r'F:\1\xxx.txt')
fout = open(r'F:\1\xxx2.txt', "wt")
for line in fin:
     fout.write( line.replace('1', '2') )