Ever since I download the MyCharm IDE a few days ago, I've been noticing all sort of "spacing conventions (from PEP) that are suggested. How do folks regard these in general?

For instance,  the conventions suggest that

if x>y :
     pass

should be written
if x > y:
    pass

Personally, I like seeing a space before the colon (:).   And then in

my_list = [ i for i in range(0, 10) ]
it complains about my extra space inside of the brackets.

If you are teaching beginning students, do you expect them to try to follow these sorts of conventions? Is it perfectly fine to let "taste" guide you (I'm just trying to get a feel for the philosophy here)? I also notice "break" and exception handling is used much more in Python than in C++, for instance. I was taught "break" and "continue" led to "unstructured code"--but that was a while back. I can still see their use causing potential trouble in (really-long) real-world code.

Bill