On 05/10/17 19:45, bartc wrote:
Yes, I tried typing 'sort' in Linux, where it apparently hangs (same on Windows actually). The reason: because it might have killed someone to have added a message saying what you are expected to type and how to end it. (Namely, press Ctrl-D start at the start of a line in Linux, and Ctrl-Z followed by Enter, I think also at the start, in Windows.)

Actually it might. Linux tools are written not to assume that stdin and stdout are the console, because they frequently aren't. Extra puff written to stdout at best makes it harder to use in a pipeline, and at worst makes it useless; tools that do that tend not to get used.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd