On 01/11/17 18:57, Stefan Ram wrote:
Ned Batchelder <n...@nedbatchelder.com> writes:
You should not optimize for the shortest time to paste a line of code.Â
You should take time and care writing your code, so that it reads best
and runs best.  If you needed another os function, would you have two
__import__("os") in your code? Ugh.

   I make a distinction between two kinds of code:

   1.) Quick-and-dirty code (rapid prototyping)

   One just wants to find out something using Python code.
   The code might be written into the Shell and not be saved,
   or only be saved temporarily. For example, what the sum of
   5412 and 2141 is, or whether an idea for a program code
   works at all.

   The snippets are also intended for such code.

   2.) Library-grade code

   This is code that might be around for a longer time and
   might be maintained in the future. It even is possible that
   it will become part of a library.

   It is possible that qnd-code might evolve into lg-code.
   In this case, it is still possible to remove all »__imports__«.

   Your comments might apply more to lg-code than to qnd-code.

The bad thing here is that you are training yourself in a coding style (quick and dirty) that ought to be rejected in any code that isn't completely ephemeral. And in my experience, most "throw-away" code isn't thrown away.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd