On 04Nov2017 14:01, Sayth Renshaw <flebber.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
I want to get a result from a largish json api. One section of the json structure returns lists of data. I am wanting to get each resulting list returned.

This is my code.
import json
from pprint import pprint

with open(r'/home/sayth/Projects/results/Canterbury_2017-01-20.json', 'rb') as
f, open('socks3.json','w') as outfile:
   to_read = json.load(f)
[...]
   meeting_id = to_read["RaceDay"]["Meetings"][0]
   result = meeting_id["Races"]
   #failing
   for item in result:
       pprint(["RacingFormGuide"]["Event"]["Runners"])

I'd just keep the interesting runners, along with their race numbers, in a dict. The enumerate function is handy here. Something like (untested):

 runner_lists = {}
 for n, item in enumerate(result):
   if this one is interested/not-filtered:
     runner_lists[n] = result["RacingFormGuide"]["Event"]["Runners"]

and just return runner_lists. That way you know what the race numbers were for each list of runners.

What is the best way to and return the data?

The basic idea is to make a small data structure of your own (just the dictionary runner_lists in the example above) and fill it in with the infomation you care about in a convenient and useful shape. Then just return the data structure.

The actual data structure will depend on what you need to do with this later.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au> (formerly c...@zip.com.au)