On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 7:18:04 PM UTC-7, bvdp wrote:
> I'm having a conceptual mind-fart today. I just modified a bunch of code to
> use "from xx import variable" when variable is a global in xx.py. But, when I
> change/read 'variable' it doesn't appear to change. I've written a bit of
> code to show the problem:
>
> mod1.py
> myvar = 99
> def setvar(x):
>     global myvar
>     myvar = x
>
> test1.py
> import mod1
> mod1.myvar = 44
> print (mod1.myvar)
> mod1.setvar(33)
> print (mod1.myvar)
>
> If this test1.py is run myvar is fine. But, if I run:
>
> test2.py
> from mod1 import myvar, setvar
> myvar = 44
> print (myvar)
> setvar(33)
> print (myvar)
>
> It doesn't print the '33'.
>
> I thought (apparently incorrectly) that import as would import the name myvar
> into the current module's namespace where it could be read by functions in
> the module????

Thanks all for confirming that I was wrong to use "from .. import". Hmmm,
perhaps for functions it might be okay. But, in most cases it's a lot more
obvious to use module.function() when calling. Maybe a bit slower, but I'm sure
it's negligible in most cases.

And, yes, I am trying to share state info between modules. Is this a bad thing?
I guess I would write getter() and setter() functions for all this. But that
does seem to remind me too much of some other language :)