On 12/18/2017 08:45 AM, Larry Martell wrote:
On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <ma...@pacujo.net> wrote:
However, one great way to stand out is a portfolio of GitHub projects.
Several people have gotten an offer largely based on those (after they
aced the technical interviews). For example, we just hired someone who
had written a game in sed. That doesn't make him an "interesting
person," nor do we look for game or sed developers. But that silly
exercise deeply resonated with our team. We expect to have great synergy
with him.

I have been excluded from even getting an interview because I did not
have a portfolio of GitHub projects. I think that is a bad filter. I
work 60-70 hours a week for pay, and I have a family and personal
interests.

When I'm hiring I don't necessarily need a candidate to have an extensive open-source portfolio, but I need to see some kind of portfolio, just as a bar of "This is what I consider my good work to be." The idea that someone is going to have years of experience, but not a single page of code that they can let me look over always strikes me as odd.