I would appreciate help on finding a solution to following problem. This is the general structure of the "problem" code:

while True
    # Get some data from the web and process it
    # Write these data to a file
    # Check if a_key has been pressed in the command window
    if a_key_pressed:
        # Perform some pre-termination tasks
        # Close the output data file
        raise SystemExit('Exit')

I am running the code with Python 3.6 on a windows 10 platform. I have tried many approaches (mainly those posted on stackoverflow) but I have yet to find an approach that works for this structure.

Note:
  1) The code is executed in the windows 10 command window
  2) I am not using wxPython, IDLE, or pyGame in this application.
  3) The time to get the data, process it and write it to a file can
     take from 0.5 sec to 1.5 sec
  4) The key hit need not be echoed to the command window