On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 1:41 AM, Steven D'Aprano
<steve+comp.lang.pyt...@pearwood.info> wrote:
> I have a class with a large number of parameters (about ten) assigned in
> `__init__`. The class then has a number of methods which accept
> *optional* arguments with the same names as the constructor/initialiser
> parameters. If those arguments are None, the defaults are taken from the
> instance attributes.

I have a very similar problem in a project of mine, and it's currently
an unsolved problem. My current best theory is to basically just
accept **kwargs for everything (so there's no None defaults), and then
use chain_map for all lookups. Seems inefficient, but at least it'd be
functional. Haven't implemented it though.

If you get any better ideas, I'll be reading them too.

ChrisA