Thanks Paul for the prompt reply,

However, each entry in this Windows 10 path has a trailing backslash. If my memory is correct, this is the default for path directories.

IMHO it would have been useful to have "warning" somewhere in these messages.

On 2018-04-26 20:52, Paul Moore wrote:
On 26 April 2018 at 19:33, Virgil Stokes <v...@it.uu.se> wrote:
Why am I getting this message, that I need to consider adding this directory
to PATH when it is already in PATH?
Note, all of these *.exe files are in C:\Python36\Scripts.
The PATH entry ends with a backslash, which is confusing the check
done by pip. It's a known issue and has been fixed in the development
version of pip, so it'll be resolved in the next release. In the
meantime, you can either remove the redundant trailing backslash from
your PATH, or just ignore the warning.

Paul