On 10/05/2018 09:09, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
bartc <b...@freeuk.com>:
On 09/05/2018 06:44, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
But by the time 1.4 came around, Guido had settled on a clean separation
between statements and expressions as part of Python's design.

That separation has gradually weakened over the years,

Presumably it's non-existent now, as it seems you can type any
expression as a statement in its own right:

   "stmt"
   a + b*c
   p == 0

When typing in code (in various languages), I have a habit of typing
"..." at places that need to be implemented. For example:

     if count:
     else:
         do_something_smart()
         break

the idea being that "..." will surely trigger a syntax error if I forget
to address it.

I was mildly amused when Python happily executed such code. "..." is a
valid expression and thus, a valid statement.

I wondered what it meant, so I typed in:

   print (...)

and it displayed:

   Ellipsis

which wasn't very enlightening.