On 5/25/18 9:52 AM, brucegoodst...@gmail.com wrote:
On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 8:06:31 AM UTC-4, Ned Batchelder wrote:
On 5/24/18 6:54 PM, bruceg113...@gmail.com wrote:
I am trying to convert a string to a variable.

I got cases 1 & 2 to work, but not cases 3 & 4.

The print statement in cases 3 & 4 reports the following:
      builtins.AttributeError: type object 'animal' has no attribute 'tiger'
I am stuck on creating variables that can be accessed as follows.
            animal.tiger
            self.animal.tiger

Any suggestions?

Usually when people want to turn strings into variables, the best answer
is to not make variables, but instead have a dictionary.

But I don't know what you are going to do with "animal.tiger", so I'm
not sure the best answer.  Can you say more about the whole problem?

--Ned.

Hi Ned,

I am writing a small interpreter just for fun.
My program reads and processes text from a file.
Good or bad, I prefer the variable syntax.

If your own code will never use these variable names, then all of your accesses, both reading and writing, will be through these awkward mechanisms, I think?  Wouldn't it be easier to use your own dictionary?

--Ned.