On 10Jun2018 11:26, John Ladasky <john_lada...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 7:47:01 AM UTC-7, T Berger wrote:
When I go to post a reply, I get a warning asking if I want my email address
(or other email addresses listed) visible to all, and do I want to edit my
post. What should I do?

Are you posting through Google Groups?  Sometimes I see that warning as well.
Some, but not all, Usenet software deliberately mangles email addresses when composing posts.

Ah, interesting.

It's a good thing to mangle email addresses when posting publicly, as it makes it harder for spammers to find new targets. So answer "yes", and manually edit any email addresses you see in the post so that they can't be recovered.

"Good" is subjective. I don't think it is a good thing, but many people do.

My reasoning is that I'm never going to successfully hide my email address, so usually I won't bother. If I need to post somewhere I'd like private, I can always invent a random address like:

 c2d56bb1edc5a...@mailinator.com

for that special purpose and move on.

GMail has good spam filtering tech on the whole, so its users should be relatively comfortable about spam.

So when I post to a public forum I usually use my normal email address.

This is a personal decision and anyone might choose differently.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>