On 14Jun2018 21:09, Tamara Berger <brg...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 4:32:56 AM UTC-4, Cameron Simpson wrote:
This is one reason to prefer the mailing list. You can subscribe here:
[...]
Wait for the first message or so and for that message choose GMail's "filter
messages like this" action. I like to choose "Apply the label Python" and "Skip
the inbox" for such things. Then you'll get a nice little "Python" mail folder
in your collection where the list will accumulate. And less spam than the
Group.

Sounds great, Cameron. But Gmail doesn't give me the options "Apply the label Python" and "Skip the inbox" under "Filter messages like this." I just get the generic To, From, Has the words, Doesn't have.

The first panel with to/from etc is just the message selection panel. It probably has the "includes the words" field already filled in with something that will match a python-list message. When you click "Create filter with this search" you get another panel with what to do with matching messages.

I usually:

- skip the Inbox
- apply the label: click the "Choose label" dropdown and create a new label "python" or whatever suits you - also apply filter to matching conversations, which will gather up all the list messages that have already arrived and filter them, too

Also note that you don't need a label per list. I file a few mailing lists in the same "python" folder.

Alternatively, you might make a label per list; note that you can put a slash in a label eg "python/python-list" and GMail will treat that as a hierarchy, making a "python" category on the left with "python-list" underneath it. Might be handy of you join several lists and want to group them.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>