On 28/06/2018 09:05, Kerr Avon wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 21:43:12 +1200, Avon wrote:

Hey Cameron,

Apologies for this. I have contacted the Fido system connected to the
gateway I run into news.bbs.nz and have asked them to urgently sort /
check what's up. If I don't get any joy from them within the next 24
hours I will delink them so as to negate further probs.

My hunch is a BBS (yes they still exist :)) is taking a gated feed of
this newsgroup and is linked to more than one gateway so stuff is
looping... not good.

Stand by caller... we're working on this now.

Best, Paul newsmaster [at] news dot bbs dot nz

Yep confirming I found the issue lay with the sysop of a BBS that connects
to the gateway linked to news.bbs.nz

I have delinked him while he addresses the issue (which he has found) and
we will leave him delinked for a few more days to be sure.

If anyone spots anything amiss that looks like it's coming in from
news.bbs.nz please feel free to contact me again and I'll get right on to
it.

Apologies for the hassles.

Best, Paul

(Wearing my List Moderator hat)

Thanks very much for addressing this for us, and to Cameron and others who did the detective work. I admit I assumed at first it was some kind of odd attack perhaps related to a dissatisfied poster so I'm glad it was a misconfiguration issue.

TJG