On 15Jul2018 23:34, Jon Ribbens <jon+use...@unequivocal.eu> wrote:
On 2018-07-15, Skip Montanaro <skip.montan...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have an email message in a file (see attached).

Attachments don't work here.

something like this should construct an email message from the file:

from email.message import EmailMessage
msg = EmailMessage()
fp = open("/home/skip/tmp/79487694")
msg.set_content(fp.read())

What are you actually trying to do? You're talking like you're trying
to read an existing RFC822 email-with-headers from a file, but you're
showing code that creates a new email with body content set from
a file, which is a completely different thing.

Also, RFC822 messages tend not to be Unicode themselves, _or_ ISO8859-1. Email message file tend to be 7-bit ASCII, with a (small, well defined) variety of methods for passing other text encodings though that form.

When I read a mail message from a file I do it like this:

 msg = email.parser.Parser().parse(msgfile, headersonly=headersonly)

where `msgfile` is an open file (just "open(pathname, errors='replace')"). That returns a Message object.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au> (formerly c...@zip.com.au)