On 17/07/18 02:52, Python wrote:
On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 08:56:11PM +0100, Rhodri James wrote:
The problem everyone is having with you, Marko, is that you are
using the terminology incorrectly. [...] When you call UTF-32 a
variable-width encoding, you are incorrect.
But please don't overlook that the "terminology" is in fact rather
specialized jargon, far less common than even most computer jargon.
Unless you're uncommonly familiar with the subject matter, you simply
don't have this vocabulary.  Under the circumstances it seems not
horribly unreasonable to expect such a person to consider the bytes
required to represent a glyph as an encoding's width, and you as
"experts" rightly should expect, let's call them lay people, to make
this mistake and adjust for it, or politely correct it, without the
condescension.

If we were talking about lay people, I would unhesitatingly agree with you. However Marko *does* claim expertise in this area, but then uses what I hope has been demonstrated to be quite careful and deliberate terminology in a manner most politely described as "careless". This is... not helpful.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd