On 17/07/18 02:17, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 23:50:12 +0200, Roel Schroeven wrote:

There are times (encoding/decoding network protocols and other data
formats) when I have a byte string and I want/need to process it like
Python 2 does, and that is the one area where I feel Python 3 make
things a bit more difficult.

Ah yes, the unfortunate design error that iterating over byte-strings
returns ints rather than single-byte strings.

That decision seemed to make sense at the time it was made, but turned
out to be an annoyance. It's a wart on Python 3, but fortunately one
which is fairly easily dealt with by a helper function.

I don't think I agree with you, but that may just be my heritage as a C programmer. Every time I've iterated over a byte string, I've really meant bytes (as in integers). Those bytes may correspond to ASCII characters, but that's just a detail.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd