[...]

>>> y = 3.3
>>> y
3.3

[...]

>>> z = (1.1 + 2.2) * 10 / 10
>>> z
3.3

Thanks to Chris and Stephen for the replies.

They were interesting, but actually did not answer the question that I forgot to ask!

The reason for my query is this. I am assisting someone with an application involving monetary values. I have been trying to explain why they should use the decimal module. They have had a counter-argument from someone else who says they should just use the rounding technique in my third example above.

My gut-feel says that they are wrong, but I don't have the knowledge to prove it. I think a lot depends on what they are going to do with this value down the line - maybe it is 'safe enough' for their purposes, so I don't want to overstate my case. Are there edge cases where that rounding method could fail?

Frank