On 15Oct2018 00:33, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pyt...@hjp.at> wrote:
On 2018-10-15 09:06:11 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 8:56 AM Marko Rauhamaa <ma...@pacujo.net> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com>:
> > Tabs for indentation have semantic meaning. Top-level has zero tabs.
> > One indentation level is represented by one tab. Two indentation
> > levels? Two tabs. It's about as perfect a representation as you could
> > hope for.
>
> That *could* be the situation. However, it is trumped by an older
> convention whereby the indentation levels go as follows:
>
>    0:
>    1: SPC SPC
>    2: SPC SPC SPC SPC
>    3: SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC
>    4: TAB
>    5: TAB SPC SPC
>    6: TAB SPC SPC SPC SPC
>    7: TAB SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC SPC
>    8: TAB TAB

That's not using tabs for indentation, that's using tabs for compressing
spaces (somebody already mentioned that in this thread).

I've literally NEVER come across this as a convention. Not a single
file that I have ever worked with has used it. Where is this
convention from?

It's something vi does by default, and apparently emacs as well.
In the 1970's saving space by replacing sequences of 8 spaces
with tabs seemed lika a good idea.

There are workarounds in vi(m), but I'm not sure if you can get rid of
that behaviour completely. I'm sure it is possible in emacs.

I'm a "just use spaces" guy. I use the tab _key_ as a shortcut to do a bunch of spaces.

My vim setup has this:

 set expandtab

which turns them into spaces.

Cheers,