On 29/11/2018 19:20, srinivasan wrote:
With the below code snippet, I am seeing the below error, I am using
python 3.6, could you please what could be the issue?

[snip]

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/srinivasan/Downloads/bt_tests/qa/test_library/bt_tests.py",
line 169, in <module>
     bl.start_scan()
   File "/home/srinivasan/Downloads/bt_tests/qa/test_library/bt_tests.py",
line 32, in start_scan
     out = self.get_output("scan on")
   File "/home/srinivasan/Downloads/bt_tests/qa/test_library/bt_tests.py",
line 27, in get_output
     return self.child.before.split("\r\n")
TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'

The traceback tells you that you are expected to provide a "bytes" string rather than a unicode (normal) string. I would guess that's because pexpect is returning a byte string in self.child.before. You should:

a) check the pexpect documentation to see if that's correct
b) supply self.child.before.split() with a byte string
c) seriously consider whether you are making life hard for yourself

You appear to regard Python as a language you can use to run shell commands and parse their output. Have you looked to see if there are existing Python modules that will Just Do The Work for you and avoid all this faffing about?

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd