On 2019-01-08 00:47, i...@koeln.ccc.de wrote:
You might do something like

     if len(a) == 0 or all(i == a[0] for i in a[1:]):

You don't need to check the length of the list because if the list is empty, 'all' will return True anyway.

This should be linear complexity and short circuiting and in general it
doesn't get much better than this. Though I wouldn't bet there isn't a
better (faster/clearer/more readable) solution.