On 2/16/2019 8:10 PM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
I'm pleased to announce the immediate availability of Python 2.7.16 release
candidate 1. This is a prerelease for yet another bug fix release in the Python
2.7.x series. It includes over 100 fixes over Python 2.7.15. See the changelog
at

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/python/cpython/baacaac06f93dd624c9d7b3bac0e13fbe34f2d8c/Misc/NEWS.d/2.7.16rc1.rst

for full details.

Downloads are at:

     https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2716rc1/

Please test your software against the new release

Something changed in either Windows or the Windows installer. Since I just upgraded to 1809, I suspect the former. As a result, I got this unfriendly message.
"
Windows Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.

App:
python-2.7.16rc1.amd64.msi
"

Open an issue?