On 3/25/19 10:58 PM, DL Neil wrote:
Dave,

On 26/03/19 1:10 PM, Dave wrote:
I use Python3 3, and expected learning how to use configparser would be no big deal.  Well!  Seems there is configparser, stdconfigparser, and safeconfigparser, and multiple ways to set the section and entries to the section.  A little confusing.  I want to future-proof may code, so what should I be using?

(with apologies for not answering the question directly)

After striking this problem, I was encouraged to take a look at JSON, and thence YAML. Once there, as they say, didn't look back!
- multi-dimensional possibilities, cf .ini
- similarity/correspondence with Python data structures
- convenient PSL
- easily adopted by (power-)users, cf Python code

WebRefs:

- similar Q: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5055042/whats-the-best-practice-using-a-settings-file-in-python

- article: https://martin-thoma.com/configuration-files-in-python/

- similar discussion: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3085029/pros-and-cons-for-different-configuration-formats

Wish I could do that. Customer wants .ini. I would need to sell them on an alternative. The issue is human readable - .ini is easier for people to understand.

Dave,