On ven., Mar 29, 2019 at 4:51 PM, python-list-requ...@python.org wrote:
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 2:30 PM Alexey Muranov <alexey.mura...@gmail.com>
wrote:

On jeu., mars 28, 2019 at 8:57 PM, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:
 > Throwing the name away is foolish.  Testing functions is another
 > situation in which function names are needed for proper report.

My idea however was to have it as an exact synonyme of an assignment of
 a lambda. Assignment is an assignment, it should not modify the
 attributs of the value that is being assigned.

There could perhaps be a special case for lambda expressions such that,
when they are directly assigned to a variable, Python would use the
variable name as the function name. I expect this could be accomplished by a straightforward transformation of the AST, perhaps even by just replacing
the assignment with a def statement.

If this will happen, that is, if in Python assigning a lambda-defined function to a variable will mutate the function's attributes, or else, if is some "random" syntactically-determined cases

    f = ...

will stop being the same as evaluating the right-hand side and assigning the result to "f" variable, it will be a fairly good extra reason for me to go away from Python.

Since this could just as easily be applied to lambda though, I'm afraid it
doesn't offer much of a case for the "f(x)" syntactic sugar.

I did not get this. My initial idea was exactly about introducing a syntactic sugar for better readability. I've already understood that the use cases contradict PEP 8 recommendations.

Alexey.