Le 23/04/19 à 21:48, MRAB a écrit :
On 2019-04-23 19:21, Vincent Vande Vyvre wrote:
Le 23/04/19 à 19:23, Chris Angelico a écrit :
On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 3:18 AM Vincent Vande Vyvre
<vincent.vande.vy...@telenet.be> wrote:
Hi,

In a CPython lib I have an _init() method wich take one argument, a file
name.

      char *fname;

      if (!PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "s", &fname))
          return NULL;

So, if I instanciate my object with a bad argument I've a good error
message:

tif = ImgProc(123)
TypeError: argument 1 must be str, not int
(followed by the traceback)

But if I do:
try:
      tif = ImgProc(123)
except Exception as why:
      print("Error:", why)

I get just:

Error: <class '_liboqapy.ImgProc'> returned a result with an error set

It looks like there's an internal problem in the C function. Are you
sure it's hitting the PyArg_ParseTuple and then immediately returning
NULL? Post a bit more of your code; this error looks like something is
leaving an error state but then carrying on with the code.

ChrisA

Into the lib:

static int
ImgProc_init(ImgProc *self, PyObject *args, PyObject *kwds)
{
      PyObject *tmp;
      char *fname;

      if (!PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "s", &fname))
          return NULL;

      tmp = self->src;
      self->src = PyUnicode_FromString(fname);
      Py_XDECREF(tmp);
      return 0;
}

[snip]

That function returns an int.

If PyArg_ParseTuple fails, your function returns NULL, which is cast to an int, 0.

If PyArg_ParseTuple succeeds, your function returns 0.

Either way, it returns 0.

So how does the caller know whether the function was successful? Does it check PyErr_Occurred?

No, the caller is in a block try-except for that.

The exact question here is why without a try-except I've the good one error and not in a try-except.

The /return 0;/ is usual in a /Foo_init()/ function.

Vincent