Hi Dave,

> The plan for an app that I'm doing was to use SQLite for data and to hold the
> preference settings as some apps do.  The plan was changed last week to allow
> the user to select the location of the data files (SQLite) rather than
> putting it where the OS would dictate.  Ok with that, but it brings up some
> questions.  First, I will need to have a file that points to the location of
> the data file  since that can't be hard coded. Second, if I have to have a
> file that is likely part of the application group of files, would it make
> more sense to use a more traditional preferences file?  How have other Python
> app developers done in this case?

We handle the "where is my config file" question by defaulting to script's
current directory, then a script-specific folder within their home directory.
Users can override that behavior by setting a script specific environment
variable or by using a command line switch to point to a different location or
config file.

We store our preferences in an INI style config file which we've found easier
to support when there's problems.

Malcolm