On 02Oct2019 07:37, Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.z...@gmail.com> wrote:
I noticed that the ipython on my Debian box located in the following
locations:

werner@localhost:~$ ls .local/bin/ipython*
.local/bin/ipython  .local/bin/ipython3

werner@localhost:~$ ls .pyenv/shims/ipython*
.pyenv/shims/ipython  .pyenv/shims/ipython3

I would guess that the former came from "pip install ipython" and that the latter came from an an environment set up with pyenv.

And, they are different:

--------
werner@localhost:~$ diff .pyenv/shims/ipython3 .local/bin/ipython3
1,3c1
< #!/usr/bin/env bash

This is a small shell script wrapper, presumably hooking into your pyenv setup to find the "real" ipython.

from IPython import start_ipython
if __name__ == '__main__':
    sys.argv[0] = re.sub(r'(-script\.pyw?|\.exe)?$', '', sys.argv[0])
    sys.exit(start_ipython())

This is the Python boilerplate wrapper with pip uses to install an ipython executable script in a bin directory.

You may find that the shell script from .pyenv/shims eventually executes a python script like the one from .local/bin. Try going:

 bash -x ~/.pyenv/shims/ipython3

and see what its final command does.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>