On 01Dec2019 09:29, Manfred Lotz <ml_n...@posteo.de> wrote:
On Sat, 30 Nov 2019 20:42:21 -0800 (PST)
John Ladasky <john_lada...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
For years, I've read warnings about not installing one's personal
stack of Python modules on top of the system Python.  It is possible
to corrupt the OS, or so I've gathered.

This is nonsense as you presumably have no permission to change
anything Python related in /usr.

The only possiblity I can imagine is that you somehow screw up your
personal Python related setting in your home directory tree. But I have
never (in the short period of time I've been using Python) encountered
anything like this.

What is to be avoided: Some people run pip as root and install in the vendor/supplier controlled space. This can lead to various problems, as it can conflict with or simply vary the system installed packages.

Provided the OP is using pip in its (modern default) "install in my home directory" mode, they should be fine.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>