On 12/5/2019 3:55 PM, MRAB wrote:

Ok thanks for the explanation there, and I have placed the cursor at the
beginning of the first indented line. Moving down 1 line at a time ,
each line is at the same position upto line 157 in the authors code .
Then it is closer in to the edge upto line 190, where it goes back out
again.

What is my best course of action here now.

google or duckduckgo or whatever your text editor and tabs to spaces..
there is probably an easy way to convert the file

Or expand the tabs using Python: at the Python prompt, read it in, use the expandtabs method of str, write it back out.

IDLE's Format menu has an option to do this in memory, so you can check before writing back to disk.

--
Terry Jan Reedy