MRAB,

> From the help:
> Do not depend on immediate finalization of objects when they become
> unreachable (so you should always close files explicitly).

Do you notice there is not a single word about (the delayed action of) the
__del__ method in there ?  Why than do you think its talking about it ?

You know how I read that ?   As if its talking about /variables going outof
scope/.   Makes sense ?    Thought so.  :-)

Hmmm...  Maybe the __del__ method was created exactly to solve this late
handling of going-outof-scope variables.  What do you think ?

And by the way: /when/ would you close those files explicitily ?    You
cannot just do it before any "del instance" command, as some other refence
to the instance might still there ...

Regards,
Rudy Wieser