Greg Ewing wrote:
You deal with it by not relying on __del__ for anything
that needs to be done promptly. There are always alternatives:
e.g. file objects have a close() method, and the "with"
statement was invented to make it easy to do these kinds
of things properly.

By the way, I was very impressed back in the day when the
with statement and context manager protocol appeared in
Python. I've always wondered from what language(s) it was
borrowed from (as most of good ideas in Python have been
borrowed, like comprehension from Haskell, and so on, which
is good).