On 2020-03-21 8:04 PM, Barry Scott wrote:

On 21 Mar 2020, at 13:43, Frank Millman <fr...@chagford.com> wrote:

Hi all

I have a strange intermittent bug.

The role-players -
    asyncio on Python 3.8 running on Windows 10
    Microsoft Edge running as a browser on the same machine

The bug does not occur with Python 3.7.
It does not occur with Chrome or Firefox.
It does not occur when MS Edge connects to another host on the network, running
the same Python program (Python 3.8 on Fedora 31).

The symptoms -
    On receiving a connection, I send an HTML page to the browser,
        which has 20 lines like this -

    <script type="text/javascript" src="src/main.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="src/on_load.js"></script>

Intermittently, one or other of the script files is not received by MS Edge.

[...]
>> I don't know whether the problem lies with Python or MS Edge, but as
it does not happen with Python 3.7, I am suspecting that something changed in 3.8 which does not match MS Edge's expectations.

I'd look at the network traffic with wireshark to see if there is anything
different between edge and the other browsers.

You are leading me into deep waters here :-) I have never used Wireshark before. I have now downloaded it and am running it - it generates a *lot* of data, most of which I do not understand yet!

One thing immediately stands out. When I run it with MS Edge and Python3.8, it shows a lot of lines highlighted in red, with the symbols [RST,ACK]. They do not appear when running Chrome, and they do not appear when running Python3.7.

I have another data point. I tried putting an asyncio.sleep() after sending each file. A value of 0.01 made no difference, but a value of 0.1 makes the problem go away.

I will keep digging, but I thought I would post this information now in case it helps with diagnosis.

Frank