On 30/03/2020 9:34 am, Steven Hobbs wrote:
Hi all,

I have installed Python 3.7.7 on Windows 10 and I understood that pip came
installed. However when I try using pip I get an unrecognised command error.

I tried following the instructions on this website:
https://docs.python.org/3/installing/index.html

However usage of pip as described at this website receives an unrecognised
command error. I have also tried adding the python directory to the Path
variable and running commands in the Python directory.

I have also tried this website without success:

https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/installing/
Installation � pip 20.0.2
documentation<https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/installing/>
Warning. Be cautious if you are using a Python install that is managed by your
operating system or another package manager. get-pip.py does not coordinate
with those tools, and may leave your system in an inconsistent state.
pip.pypa.io

Can I please have step by step instructions that have been verified to work
with Windows 10 and Python 3.7.7 that list all requirements, dependencies and
processes to install and run pip and then install libraries such as numpy and
pillow.

I don't know about numpy but pillow on Windows is a pain because it is only available as source and pip want's to compile it. That is the pain. Pip needs to use a C compiler and Windows was never designed to make life easy for developers out of the box. You need to set up a dev environment yourself for that. HOWEVER all is not lost ...

Visit https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ which is Christoph Gohlke's page of pre-compiled binaries for Windows. I couldn't use Windows without it. That man deserves a Nobel prize for generosity.

You will find a suitable Pillow installer there. To install all you do is execute it in the venv. But there is a better way if you need to install it only in particular venvs.

Use pip!

If you download the Pillow installer to your Windows downloads directory, here is a pip install incantation which works for me in an activated venv ...

python -m pip install D:\Users\mike/downloads/Pillow-6.0.0-cp37-cp37m-win_amd64.whl

Don't worry about my slashes and backslashes. That part of the above line is copied from a requirements file assembled by batch file. Pip doesn't care about the angle of the slash.

I think numpy people use Anaconda to install stuff. Not sure about that.

Good luck

Mike

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,