On 29/05/2020 2:59 pm, Dieter Maurer wrote:
Mike Dewhirst wrote at 2020-5-29 11:55 +1000:
On 29/05/2020 10:51 am, Terry Reedy wrote:
Source only releases only block Windows/Mac users who choose not to
upgrade to a released installer and who cannot or choose not to compile.
I am an example

I installed all the Pythons on my Windows 10 dev machine (locked into
Windows by having clients) but I'm also locked into Python 3.6.9 on my
Ubuntu 18.04 production machines.
You are not locked into Python 3.6 on Ubuntu: it is quite easy
to compile Python on *nix (this includes Ubuntu 18.04) yourself
(I did so recently for Python 3.9[a5]).

Thank you Dieter - yes I'm aware of that. You need to understand that I am lazy. I haven't done it before and I was persuaded by a grizzly old sysadmin that it is much easier to stick with the distro version.

I have actually compiled mod-wsgi before in the days of Python 2.7 so I do know how brilliantly Linux is set up for software development compared with Windows.

I will think about it seriously.

Cheers

Mike