A possible alternative would be a partition library function in the same vein
as `map` and `filter`
```
def partition(n, key, iter):
    """
    Partitions a list.
    Args: (n: the number of partitions), (key: function which takes elements
and returns the index of the partition to place them in), (iter: the iterable
to be partitioned)
    Returns: A tuple of lists partitioned per the key function. If this were a
library function, this would likely return a tuple of generators instead in the
same vein as `map` and `filter`.
    """
    lists = tuple([] for _ in range(n))
    for x in iter:
        lists[key(x)].append(x)
    return lists
```
Except it would be optimized like a library function (which means written in C,
I believe)