On 12/29/20 7:48 AM, Chris Green wrote:
I seem to have quite a lot of old python packages installed over the
years using pip and would like, if I can. to clear some of them out.

Is there any way to tell if a python package was installed by me
directly using pip or was installed from the [x]ubuntu repositories?
'pip list' just tells me every python package that's installed and
this really isn't much help.

Can one uninstall older versions?  For example I seem to have
three versions of Click installed:-

     /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/click
     /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/click
     /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/click

Presumably the ones in /usr/local have been pulled in as dependencies
when installing something else using pip, the /usr/lib one has been
installed from the Ubuntu repositories (again as a dependency). How
can I remove the ones in /usr/local?

If one updates a package using pip will it move it as appropriate from
(for example) /usr/local/lib/python3.7 to /usr/local/lib/python3.8?

Can pip (or some other tool) tell me what other python packages depend
on one I'm considering uninstalling?

If there are any tools/utilities one can install to check these things
out I'd love to know about them.

There are some tools (on pypi naturally) for fiddling with installed packages, but for starters try these two:

python -m pip help list
python -m pip help show

show will list dependencies, among other bits of info.

For older versions, you to use the matching version of Python

python2.7 -m pip show click