On 13/01/2021 15:37, songbird wrote:

>   my momentary conceptual problem is that to me OOP means
> being able to encapsulate data structures and code from
> other parts of the program,

That's true, but encapsulation simply means that the data
and functions are contained within a single
entity - ie a capsule. It says nothing about whether
you can access them directly or not.

When OOP started the basic concept of having functions
inside the same structure as the data that they operated
on was so radical that encapsulation became a big topic.
But over time it has gotten mixed up with data hiding
and abstraction (also big topics back in the 70/80s)
So the term encapsulation has tended to be used to
cover abstraction and data hiding as well as simple(pure)
encapsulation.

> that is how python is designed.  this is probably a complete
> aside to this whole thread and perhaps even this newsgroup

It is a long running(as in for decades!) sub-thread to
the whole Python language. :-)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site