I agree to all the rest of your post, but this:

Am 16.02.21 um 09:57 schrieb Tarjei Bærland:
I am not sure I agree that a language like Scheme or Logo or Brainfuck, with
their small number of building blocks, would be harder to learn.

is strange. I'm not sure, have you actually looked at Brainfuck? Maybe there is also confusion what means "learning" a programming language. For me, learning a language does not mean to remember the rules and keywords, but to be able to write useful programs. Indeed, Brainfuck with its 8 commands is easy to remember, but it comes at a very high price: you can't do anything useful with it with reasonable effort. It is unusable even for pure computer science stuff. It is easy to see that BF is Turing complete, so please write a BF program to compute the ackermann function. Should be easy, just three rules ;) I'd definitely choose Python to do it here.

In that sense, Scheme also appears to be the Brainfuck of functional programming to me. It is not much more than the pure untyped lambda calculus, and by definition this allows you to compute anything, just like Brainfuck is a Turing machine. Actually it is impressive that you can write actual useful code with such a minimalist language (infix math? Pure bloat!). OTOH it feels like "assembly" compared to more evolved functional languages like, e.g. Haskell.

              Christian