On 3/21/21 5:14 PM, MRAB wrote:
Tn 2021-03-21 23:13, Tim Johnson wrote:
Using ubuntu 20.04 as a recent install
with python3 (3.8.5) which was installed as part of the
original distribution install
and
python2 (2.7.18) that has been installed using apt.

I have a large amount of utilities written in python2 which I need to
maintain
until I convert that code to python3

I see numerous caveats regarding the installing of pips for both these
versions.

I would welcome advice on how to proceed which could very well be
accomplished
by links to relevant discussions or documentation.

I'd suggest using the pip module:

python2 -m pip

and:

python3 -m pip
Understood. In addition, I 'm pretty sure that all I need to do is
copy dist-utils from my old machine to the new one. The python2
versions of the two machines are very close.

thank you MRAB

--
Tim
tj49.com