Am 22.09.21 um 16:52 schrieb Michael F. Stemper:
On 21/09/2021 19.30, Eli the Bearded wrote:
Yes, CSV files can model that. But it would not be my first choice of
data format. (Neither would JSON.) I'd probably use XML.

Okay. 'Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both no
and yes.' (I'm not actually surprised to find differences of opinion.)

It is wrong, CSV has no model of hierarchical data. A CSV file is a 2d table, just like a database table or an Excel sheet.

You can /layer/ high-dimensional data on top of a 2D table, there is the relational algebra theory behind this, but it is wrong (or misleading at best) to say that CSV can model hierarchical data.

It's the same as saying "CSV supports images". Of course it doesn't, its a textfile, but you could encode a JPEG as base64 and then put this string into the cell of a CSV table. That definitely isn't what a sane person would understand as "support".

        Christian