On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 07:08:27 +0300, Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer
<arj.pyt...@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>The upcoming operation is short enough and
>though we cannot assume that it will be the case
>when we are running the operation, we sensibly
>assume it will still be the case.
>
>This is more an extra check to not start an operation than
>either relying to check at the start or when query.
>It's both.

        So you have a success/fail tree of...

1       attempt a connection to some IP/port
1a              success -- attempt connection for desired operation
1a1                     success -- operation completes
1a2                     failure -- report that the operation can not be
completed
1b              failure -- report that you will not attempt the operation
                                because your test connection to some site failed
                                EVEN IF THE OPERATION COULD SUCCEED
                                (if the problem is with "some IP/port", not
                                the rest of the network)

vs

1       attempt connection for desired operation
1a              success -- operation completes
1b              failure -- report that the operation cannot be completed

        Personally the second tree is simpler -- AND NEEDS TO BE PART OF THE
OTHER TREE ANYWAY! [short tree 1/1a/1b are long tree 1a/1a1/1a2] The only
way the longer tree makes sense is by making step 1 a connection to the
IP/port requested in the desired operation -- and if that succeeds you've
basically performed the shorter tree.

        wlfr...@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/