Yes, I'm aware that code readability becomes irrelevant for
short-duration projects. Beside the point. I'm wondering how important
it really is to have the shortest block first.

I also might be wrong in terminology, anyway, there are many rules that
make programmer's life easier, described in the literature from the old
good "How to write unmaintainable code" to "The Art of Readable Code".
And I hope there are a lot of recent books on this subject I did not
track and read yet.
Also not really a justification for "shortest block first". Wanting
some elaboration on that. What's the value in it?

Well, the value is productivity. No need to save puzzles "what this hanging else belongs to?" regardless of semantic, which ideally should not be a puzzle as well. Code small things first and return early, same as taking a test: do easy and quick things first and boring and difficult ones later.

Axy.