On 2022-10-11 20:38, Thomas Passin wrote:
On Windows, when I tried to install gdal using pip, it needed to compile
part of it.  I'm not set up with the Microsoft compiler and header
files, so that failed.  If you are on Windows, you will need to look for
a binary wheel to install, or install and configure the compiler and
header files.

The PyPI page at https://pypi.org/project/GDAL/ has this:

"""
Conda
GDAL can be quite complex to build and install, particularly on Windows and MacOS. Pre built binaries are provided for the conda system:

https://docs.conda.io/en/latest/

By the conda-forge project:

https://conda-forge.org/
"""