On Mon, 24 Oct 2022 14:52:28 +0000, "Schachner, Joseph (US)"
<joseph.schach...@teledyne.com> declaimed the following:

>Floating point will always be a can of worms, as long as people expect it to
>represent real numbers with more precision that float has.  Usually this is
>not an issue, but sometimes it is.  And, although this example does not
>exhibit subtractive cancellation, that is the surest way to have less
>precision that the two values you subtracted.  And if you try to add up lots
>of values, if your sum grows large enough, tiny values will not change it
>anymore, even if there are many of them  - there are simple algorithms to
>avoid this effect.  But all of this is because float has limited precision.

        Might I suggest this to those affected...
https://www.amazon.com/Real-Computing-Made-Engineering-Calculations/dp/0486442217/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1666634371&sr=8-1

(Wow -- they want a fortune for the original hard-cover, which I own)

        wlfr...@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/