On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 at 09:34, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pyt...@hjp.at> wrote:
> > One thing I find quite interesting, though, is the way that browsers
> > *differ* in the face of bad nesting of tags. Recently I was struggling
> > to figure out a problem with an HTML form, and eventually found that
> > there was a spurious <form> tag way up higher in the page. Forms don't
> > nest, so that's invalid, but different browsers had slightly different
> > ways of showing it.
>
> Yeah, mismatched form tags can have weird effects. I don't remember the
> details but I scratched my head over that one more than once.

Yeah. I think my weirdest issue was one time when I inadvertently had
a <dialog> element (with a form inside it) inside something else with
a form (because the </form> was missing). Neither "dialog inside main"
nor "form in  dialog separate from form in main" is a problem, and
even "oops, missed a closing form tag" isn't that big a deal, but put
them all together, and you end up with a bizarre situation where
Firefox 91 behaves one way and Chrome (some-version) behaves another
way.

That was a fun day. Remember, folks, even if you think you ran the W3C
validator on your code recently, it can still be worth checking. Just
in case.

ChrisA