On 12/18/22 04:50, Jim Lewis wrote:
I'm an occasional user of Python and have a degree in computer science.
Almost every freaking time I use Python, I go through PSH (Python Setup
Hell). Sometimes a wrong version is installed. Sometimes it's a path issue.
Or exe naming confusion: python, python3, phthon311, etc. Or library
compatibility issues - took an hour to find out that pygame does not work
with the current version of python.

It's usually best to wait a bit after a new Python releases, until the myriad packages developed externally which depend on the binary ABI catch up. *Some* carefully follow the beta release cycle and are ready on or close to day 1, some feel like they have enough other work to do and are not. Can understand both viewpoints. You can check - search for something that's important to you on pypi.org and see if binary wheels are available.

e.g. https://pypi.org/project/pygame/#files

New Python releases are only once a year, so this shouldn't be too huge a burden, Python 3.10 works just fine in the meantime.

Then the kludgy PIP app and using a DOS
box under Windows with command prompts which is ridiculous.

Why? Python is a command-line tool to process a language, Similar to many other languages - Go, for example. Or a C/C++ compiler. *Or* you can choose to use someone's wrapping of that process inside an Integrated Development Environment. There are tons that support Python and let you run your code from within the editor environment without having to go open a cmd.exe or powershell box. Most of those are external, but the comes-with-Python IDLE works well, too.

God only knows
how many novice users of the language (or even intermediate users) were
lost in the setup process. Why not clean the infrastructure up and make a
modern environment or IDE or something better than it is now. Or at least
good error messages that explain exactly what to do. Even getting this
email to the list took numerous steps.

-- A frustrated user